1. Roasting potatoes – Parboil, roll in oil, then in flour, roast. Result lovely golden outer crust.
2. Sprinkle a little bicarbonate of soda under paper lining in bread tin and bread will remain fresher.
3. Add 1 tsp vinegar to water in which you wish to poach an egg if you have no poaching pan. It helps coagulate the white neatly.
4. Cream that is very thick can be brought to pouring consistency by stirring in a very small amount of iced water.
5. Slightly old cream is freshened by adding a little bicarbonate of soda.
6. To crisp wilted lettuce stand it in a little water in which you have placed a piece of coal.
7. Ants, sprinkle a little borax around, or some baby powder.
8. To remove ballpoint or koki pen – moisten with methylated spirits and wash in cold water.
9. To remove ink – soak in sour milk or lemon juice and salt.
10. To remove coffee stains – use borax and boiling water.
11. To clean tarnished brass – soak in brown vinegar over night, wash in cold water.
12. If a saucepan has been burnt – pour in cold water and vinegar and boil slowly for 1/2 hour. The surface will then clean easily.
13. To remove smells – baby vomit of fridge odors – wipe with a mixture of 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda to 600ml water.
14. Before cutting onions, dip your fingers in vinegar to prevent the smell from adhering to your hands.
15. Vinegar mixed with lukewarm water is excellent for washing down leather, carpets or upholstery to remove unpleasant odors such as baby’s vomit or cat’s wee.
16. Blunt scissors? Cut through a piece of sandpaper to sharpen.
17. Too salty soup? Slices of raw potato added to the soup absorbs the saltiness.
18. Shoes pinch? Place a freshly peeled potato in the shoe and leave overnight, helps the leather expand and shoes to fit better.
19. To keep stainless steel in tip top condition rub with a few drops of baby oil or olive oil on a soft cloth.
20. To remove chewing gum from fabric or hair – soak with a little paraffin and rub between the thumbs. Wash out with soap and warm water.